Why Kingsgate has Native English Speaking TeachersJanuary 22, 2019
Top 10 Universities in the UKFebruary 7, 2019
At Kingsgate we take very practical steps to manage social relationships and foster a sense of connectedness in lower secondary.
We place a more social focus on orientation processes by:
- Building into orientation activities opportunities for students to interact with their peers or with teachers in non-academic activities.
- Students meeting with their new teachers before they begin at the school e.g. encouraging students during these visits to talk about their concerns about secondary school.
- Setting up long term social support activities such as peer support programmes e.g. allocation of ‘buddy’ students; senior students involved in an orientation/team building programme.
- Encouraging students to become involved in sport, arts and other extra- curricular activities (ECA).
Establishing school processes that focus on students’ emotional and social wellbeing such as:
- Teachers knowing about vulnerable students ahead of their arrival at the school e.g. teachers meet with Year 7 and 8 teachers to gather information about such students.
- Teachers working with vulnerable students e.g. early face-to-face contact with students who have been identified, with regular follow-up and monitoring.
- Implementing processes for monitoring all students e.g. regular meetings of Year level teachers to discuss students.
- Preparing students by explaining that their social relationships might change e.g. Year 7 and 8 teachers have a role in this as part of alleviating anxiety about the transition process.
- Teaching students about how to manage unpleasant encounters e.g. Year 7 and 8 teachers have a role in this.
- Integrating into the curriculum opportunities for social learning. e.g. providing opportunities for cooperative learning.
Happy, sound, balanced, confident children have a greater capacity to be determined, courageous and critical learners.
Contact us now to find out how your child can best prepare for IGCSE through our lower secondary programme.