Years 7 and 8 – The Kingsgate Crucial YearsMay 10, 2018
Total Physical ResponseSeptember 13, 2018
Middle school is the period in a student’s life that takes place after primary school and before high school.
Typically, the ‘middle school years’ are year 6, 7, and 8 although we designate year 7 and 8 as the middle school years and year 9 as Pre-IGCSE.
We all know that in year 7 things start to get a little different. We can expect an increase in homework, and projects and parents should help their children develop skills of independence and responsibility, as teachers and others will expect even more from them.
At Kingsgate we shoulder that responsibility in a partnership with parents based on shared beliefs, consistent values and a shared strategy for success.
Parents of teenagers should take the time to prepare their children for year 7, as well as learn as much as possible about the school their child will attend. Your child’s growth and development during years 6, 7 and 8 will set the stage for high school and beyond. Be sure your child establishes a strong academic footing and be sure to spend some time to talk about high school and to prepare your child for the final years of his or her education. Stay involved and support your teenager, and you’ll be surprised how much your child changes during these important years.
Easy Ways to Prepare for Year 7
- Attend an open house or school visit
- Speak to teachers about the key differences
- Encourage your teenager to join some activities as soon as school beings
- Stay on top of your child’s academics so he/she doesn’t fall behind
- Check in with teachers periodically
- Allow your teenager to talk about any concerns he or she has about school, and how you might be able to help
- Allow your child to enjoy newfound independence and reward him or her for responsible behavior
- Begin a new school tradition – such as going out for ice cream on the first day of school or going back to school shopping together
- Talk about your own fun school experiences with your child
- Be positive and upbeat about change – let your teenager know that change can be exciting and fun
CEO and Education Expert, Greg Parry
Internationally renowned for his expertise in education leadership, Greg Parry’s vast experience includes leadership of projects for edu-cation institutions throughout Australia, the Middle East, the United States, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and China. Recognised for his numerous contributions in the education arena, Greg has received the Ministers Award for Excellence in School Leadership based on improvements in school performance and a range of successful principal training and leadership development programs, as well as the School of Excellence Award for Industry/School Partnerships and the School of Excellence Award for Technology Innovation. His company GSE (Global Services in Education) has been recognised as having the Best Global Brand in International Education 2015 and 2016.
Considered one of the premier experts in his profession, Greg has trained teachers and principals throughout the world in areas such as critical thinking, language development and leadership. His expertise in school start up projects, leadership and curriculum development, has made him a sought after authority in these disciplines.
www.gsineducation.com | www.kingsgate.edu.my | @KingsgateInternationalSchool